Quebec’s Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Jean-Yves Duclos, said Wednesday the province’s provincial police are searching for weapons and ammunition as they try to quell protests in the wake of a deadly police shooting.
The demonstrations came amid a nationwide manhunt for an Ottawa man who has been charged with second-degree murder and is also wanted for a fatal shooting on a Montreal streetcar last month.
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard on Wednesday warned protesters that they are “in danger” and called on them to respect the law.
“I don’t want to be disrespectful.
It is clear, that’s the message,” he said.
“There are people who have the right to protest.
There are people in this province who are being subjected to violence.
It’s very difficult.
We will not tolerate it.”
Quebeckers and others in Quebec took to the streets Wednesday to voice anger over the killing of the young man, who was shot and killed while walking home after a night out in downtown Montreal.
The police shooting, in which Const.
Victor Montagnes was injured, was caught on camera.
Police have said they believe Montagmes, 25, who is black, was targeted because of his race.
He is accused of pointing a handgun at a group of men outside the hotel where he was staying.
Montagnes, a native of Quebec City, was in Ottawa for a police training exercise when he was killed.
As protests raged across the country Wednesday, police were deploying tear gas and pepper spray to disperse crowds of protesters who chanted anti-police slogans, some wearing masks and masks of varying shapes.
At least 13 people were injured in Quebec during Wednesday night’s protests, according to the province.